THE TOWN OF WAUSAU ATV/UTV INFORMATION
The Town of Wausau adopted the provisions of Marathon County Ordinance 7.125 to be applied to the Town of Wausau
The town of Wausau designates all town roads as ATV/UTV routes
- The Town of Wausau has adopted the General Code of Ordinance 7.125 for Marathon County which addresses the regulation of ATVs and UTVs in Marathon County.
- Stats.§ 23.33 and Wis. Admin. Code NR § 64 create, describe, and define regulations with respect to ATVs and UTVs.
OPERATIONS: Any person who operates or rides as a passenger on an ATV or UTV on a roadway that is an ATV/UTV route in Marathon County must meet the following requirements:
- Any operator or passenger shall comply with all federal, state, and local laws, orders, regulations, restrictions, and rules, including those outlined in § 23.33, Wis. Stats., and Wis. Admin. Code NR § 64.
- No person may operate an ATV or UTV without having attained the age of 16.
- No person may operate an ATV or UTV without a valid driver's license.
- All operators shall have a liability insurance policy in force on any ATV or UTV operated on an ATV/UTV route or trail. The liability insurance policy must have the following minimum coverages: $10,000.00 for property damage; $25,000.00 for the injury or death of one person; and $50,000.00 for the injury or death of more than one person.
- Operators may only operate on a designated ATV/UTV route or trail if the route or trail is signed in accordance with § 23.33(8)(e), Wis. Stats., and Wis. Admin. Code NR § 64.12(7).
- Operators shall ride in single file.
- Operators may not operate an ATV or UTV on an ATV/UTV route at any time before or after Operating Hours. Operating Hours are designated as one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset.
- All ATVs and UTVs must operate with fully functional headlamps, tail lamps, and brake lights.
- Every ATV or UTV shall be equipped, maintained, and operated to prevent excessive or unusual noise. No person shall operate an ATV or UTV on an ATV/UTV Route unless the vehicle is equipped with a muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation.
- Operators on ATV/UTV routes shall observe a speed limit not to exceed 35 miles per hour or the posted speed limit on the roadway, whichever is less.
- Operators on ATV/UTV trails shall observe a speed limit not to exceed 35 miles per hour or the posted speed limit on the trail, whichever is less.
ENFORCEMENT: The Town of Wausau has approved the enforcement of the regulations and rules of operation of 7.125 of the General Code of Ordinances for Marathon County by the Marathon County Sheriff’s Office. The entire Marathon County Code of Ordinance 7.125 can be viewed at: https://library.municode.com/wi/marathon_county/codes/ code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CH7TRCO
If you have questions regarding the ATV/UTV regulations, please contact the Sheriff’s Office at 715 261 1200. If an emergency, please call 911.